Being sick STINKS. Seriously I can’t think of a time when I was sick and was like, hey this is great being sick is SO fun. No. I hate getting sick! Luckily I have some fail-proof remedies I always turn to whenever I feel under the weather! Here are some of my favorite ways to kick seasonal sicknesses quick:
THE COLD BUSTER DRINK FROM STARBUCKS
This drink cures ALL. I get it every time I feel a sore throat coming on. It’s something you have to specify to the barista, because if you say “GIVE ME A VENTI COLD BUSTER NOW I’M DYING” they’ll have no idea what you’re talking about and will stare at you like you’re crazy. I’m speaking from personal experience. So give them this recipe, ask for it SCORCHING HOT, and you’ll be set to sip for the next couple hours. My throat and tummy always feel a lot better after this drink!
1. Venti cup with one teabag of Mint Majesty, and one teabag of Peach Tranquility both from Teavana Tea. These teas are a perfect mix of soothing and tasty.
2. Add half hot water and half steamed lemonade (I normally don’t like lemonade, but lemon + hot water is a perfect throat soother).
3. Ask for a spoonful of honey for its anti-microbial effects (honey contains its own immune system-boosting properties).
Optional: Add one pump of peppermint (peppermint is perfect for colds in that it strengthens the immune system. Ever tried peppermint essential oil on your chest during a cold? Also works WONDERS.
ANYTHING FROM CELESTIAL SEASONINGS HERB & WELLNESS TEAS
I buy this tea often for its flavors, but my favorite teas for curing sore throats and calming colds include:
- Wild Berry Zinger (when I need a pick me up flavor, and I love berry anything).
- Honey Vanilla Chamomile (overall amazing and soothing flavors, and the honey + chamomile combination is so comforting).
- Sleepytime Throat Tamer (spearmint, licorice root, elm bark all work natural immunity wonders for sicknesses).
- Sleepytime Sinus Tamer (the smell alone can make you feel better).
These vitamin and antioxidant-rich bowls not only are great if you need a healthy meal detox, but also if you’re sick! When you’re sick, you most likely won’t feel like eating normal foods. Your body needs to rejuvenate itself, so reach for an acai bowl! Acai berries are known to be superfoods, packed with antioxidants — a perfect meal substitute when you’re sick (or for whenever really). My favorite bowl to make/eat is an acai bowl with natural peanut butter, coconut flakes, mixed berries, and sliced bananas. Here’s a recipe to try at home:
1. Granola (try to find one that has no more than 5g of sugar)
2. Organic acai juice (Trader Joe’s)
3. Honey (Organic, Wild or Manuka)
4. Fresh berries (I like raspberries, strawberries, and blackberries in mine)
5. Frozen berries (blueberries are great frozen)
6. One banana
8. Shaved or flaked Coconut (Trader Joe’s or Sprouts for organic)
9. Chia Seeds (Bulk bag from Costco)
10. A scoop of peanut butter (I like the smooth kind with this recipe, because the granola and chia seeds add a crunch on their own)
Pour the acai juice and all fruit into a blender (save some fresh fruit to top it off with at the end). Add a spoonful of chia seeds and blend until smooth. Remember to start with less juice first–you can always add more. You are looking for a thicker-than-smoothie consistency, not too watery yet dense enough so that it slowly slides off your spoon when you turn it over. Top it off with the granola, sliced banana, and leftover fresh fruit. Drizzle with honey and coconut shavings. And enjoy! 🙂
So there you have it, just a few of my favs for quickly getting over colds, coughs, and overall-not-feeling-goods. Obviously lots of rest and sleep are a must too ❤ I hope these help you on your sick days!