Being sick STINKS. Seriously I can’t think of a time when I was sick and was like, hey this is great being sick is SO fun. No. I hate getting sick and it seems that recently I’ve been getting sick more often than I’ve ever gotten before: usually consisting of a sore throat/cough and a chest cold. This past week I got so sick I could hardly stand up, breathe, and stay awake 😦 It was brutal. Luckily I have some fail-proof remedies I always turn to whenever I feel under the weather! Here are some of my favorite ways to kick sicknesses quick:
THE COLD BUSTER DRINK FROM STARBUCKS
This drink cures ALL. I get it every time I feel a sore throat coming on. It’s something you have to specify to the barista, because if you say “GIVE ME A VENTI COLD BUSTER NOW I’M DYING” they’ll have no idea what you’re talking about and will stare at you like you’re cray. Trust me on that one. So give them this recipe, ask for it SCORCHING HOT, and you’ll be set to sip for the next couple hours. My throat and tummy felt a lot better after this drink:
- Venti cup with one teabag of Mint Majesty, and one teabag of Peach Tranquility Teavana Tea. These teas are a perfect mix of soothing and tasty.
- Add half hot water and half steamed lemonade (I normally don’t like lemonade, but lemon + hot water is a perfect throat soother).
- Ask for a spoonful of honey for its anti-microbial effects (honey contains its own immune system-boosting properties)
- Optional: Add one pump of peppermint (peppermint is perfect for colds in that it strengthens the immune system. Ever tried peppermint essential oil on your chest during a cold? Also works WONDERS).
ANYTHING FROM CELESTIAL SEASONINGS HERB & WELLNESS TEAS
I buy this tea often as it is for its flavors, but my favorites for curing sore throats and calming colds include:
- Wild Berry Zinger (when I need a pick me up flavor, and I love berry anything)
- Honey Vanilla Chamomile (overall amazing and soothing flavors, and the honey + chamomile combination is so comforting)
- Sleepytime Throat Tamer (spearmint, licorice root, elm bark all work natural immunity wonders for sicknesses)
- Sleepytime Sinus Tamer (the smell alone can make you feel better)
These vitamin-rich bowls not only are great if you need a healthy meal detox, but also to make if you’re sick because your body needs to rejuvenate itself. It’s acai bowls for the win. Acai berries are known to be superfoods, packed with antioxidants — a perfect meal substitute when you’re sick (or for whenever really). My favorite bowl to make/eat is an acai bowl with peanut butter, coconut, berries, and bananas. Here’s a recipe to try at home:
Snag these ingredients-
1. Granola (try to find one that has no more than 5g of sugar)
2. Organic acai juice (Trader Joe’s)
3. Honey (Organic and Wild)
4. Fresh berries (I like raspberries, strawberries, and blackberries in mine)
5. Frozen berries (blueberries are great frozen)
6. One banana
8. Shaved Coconut (Trader Joe’s for organic)
9. Chia Seeds (anywhere really)
10. A scoop of peanut butter (I like the smooth kind with this recipe, because the chia seeds add a crunch on their own)
And follow these directions:
Pour the juice and all fruit into blender (save some fresh fruit to top it off with at the end). Add a spoonful of chia seeds and blend until smooth. Remember to start with less juice first–you can always add more. You are looking for a thicker than smoothie consistency, not too watery and thick enough so that it slowly slides off your spoon when you turn it over. Top it off with granola, sliced banana, and leftover fresh fruit. Drizzle with honey and coconut shavings. And enjoy! 🙂
So there you have it, just a few of my favs. Obviously lots of rest and sleep are a must too. I can sleep for days when I’m sick ❤ I hope these help on your sick days!