Even though it’s sunny and 85 most days here in San Diego during October, I’m completely mentally immersed in Fall ❤ I brought out my decorations the last weekend of September, got some yummy scented soaps and candles for the house, and have already gone to the pumpkin patch three times now. There’s just something magical about the changing of seasons, blustery days, and golden hues slowly blanketing the trees. Speaking of magical, I had this pumpkin muffin recipe that I’ve been dying to try (it’s my first time baking with pumpkin puree!!!) but wanted to alter it so it’s healthy and full of good, clean ingredients.
I never stick to what a recipe calls for – I always end up adding in some yummy, unexpected ingredients. So for this one, I used wheat flour instead of regular flour, used less sugar, and threw in some chocolate chips for a delicious twist on regular pumpkin muffins. They came out SO GOOD! They are super moist and the combination of pumpkin with chocolate is divine. They also make for a great breakfast muffin or midday snack 🙂 They have such great texture (they don’t round out like regular muffin tops do) and are done in 15 minutes! Scroll down for the recipe ❤
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups canned pumpkin
- 3 Tbs canola oil
- 1/4 cup low-fat milk
- One large egg
- One large egg white
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375ºF, and spray inside of muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.
- Whisk dry ingredients and spices together in a large bowl.
- Add pumpkin, oil, milk, egg, and egg white to a medium-size bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, and mix well. Stir in your chocolate chips.
- Fill muffin tins about 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake for 15 minutes
- Serve warm! Store in airtight container for up to a week in the fridge.
Hope you enjoy this recipe! The muffins come out SO yummy. You will find it hard not to eat two or three in one sitting! Enjoy ❤